The 6th Edition of Christianity and Social Work (CSW6) , edited by T. Laine Scales and Michael Kelly, and is written for social workers whose motivations to enter the profession as well as their approaches to helping have been inspired and informed by their Christian faith.
The 19 chapters and over 400 pages of CSW6 address social welfare history, human behavior and the social environment, social policy, and social work practice from a faith perspective at micro, mezzo, and macro levels. Four decision cases and an accompanying online instructor's manual provide rich teaching tools for the use of this material in a variety of social work and related classes. The 6th edition of Christianity and Social Work (ISBN #978-0-9897581) costs only $64.95 - or only $51.96 for NACSW members or for orders of 12 or more copies (plus shipping). CSW6 is also available in a pdf version at a 10% discount.
Especially useful in the classroom or social work trainings, CSW6 supports several major curriculum areas outlined by the Council on Social Work Education's Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards.
- Introduction (Scales and Kelly) - https://www.nacsw.org/Publications/CSW6/CSW6thIntroductionSample.pdf
- A Christian Perspective on Ethical Decision Making in Social Work Practice (David Sherwood) - https://www.nacsw.org/Publications/CSW6/CSW6thSherwoodEthicsSample.pdf
- The Christian roots of the social work profession
- Work with LGBT clients
- The Grand Challenges for Social Work and Evidence-based Practice (EBP)
- Trauma-informed approaches
- Practice with refugee populations'
- The ethical and effective use of technology with social work clients.